- International Experience
As a graduate in civil engineering there almost feels like an infinite number of career pathways you can head down. For me, our compulsory work experience took me to the Goyder River, in outback Northern Territory, where I lived and worked out of a camp, got hands on experience operating machinery and finished most days with a team dip in the nearby river crossings. This is where I decided civil construction was the right fit for me.
Upon graduating, I moved from my hometown in Adelaide to Canberra where I started my engineering career. After two years I relocated to Brisbane, QLD where I now work as a project Engineer in the sunny state.
About my role
A Project Engineer reports into a Senior Project Manager. This role oversees all aspects of project delivery including:
- meeting with clients to ensure their expectations and requirements are being met
- identifying potential design clashes or issues, and implementing solutions
- managing subcontractors including procuring quotes, negotiating packages and scheduling works
- sourcing all materials required
- tendering for new projects
- managing program and financial targets
- quality assurance management and coordinating inspections and testing
- stakeholder and traffic management - liaising with clients and the local community
- ensuring safety and environmental compliance including all required documentation satisfies the company, client and legislative requirements.
As a civil engineer each day you’re adapting to the new challenges on hand and working with your team to deliver a project safely, on time and to a budget.
Truly no day is ever the same!
- Year 12 High School Certificate
- Bachelor of Civil & Structural Engineering (Hons)
- Certificate IV in Safety Leadership (WHS) – Construction
- BMD Dare Award for Excellence Winner
15 year old me!!
My career journey
Studied Civil & Structural Engineering in Adelaide
Did uni exchange in Calgary, Canada
Landed first job as a grad in Canberra
Moved to Brisbane as a site Engineer
Currently working as a Project Engineer in SEQ