Ask me about
- Trying different TAFE and uni courses until I found what I liked
- Starting with a non-technical background and being mentored
I finished high school in 2009 and found myself attempting a few different university and TAFE courses because I was a bit unsure about what I wanted to do as a career. It wasn’t until I took a few months off that I figured out what I wanted to do.
I determined that IT would be the best fit because it provided me with a rapidly changing environment where I could learn and develop new skills each and everyday. I graduated with the Bachelor of Information Technology (Information Systems) in 2018 and started with the QLD government in a graduate business analyst role in 2019. Through several rotations within the business, I found myself in the Infrastructure Management team, where I have now converted to a much more technical role.
My superiors understand that I don’t have a technical background but have assisted and mentored me to develop my technical skills.
About my role
My team looks after the infrastructure in which our HR and Finance systems sit on. On an every day basis, I monitor and manage the Oracle databases and assist with administrative tasks (change management) for our organisation.
I have gone through a transition from a non-technical resource to being able to be a technical Subject Matter Expert (SME) and though it’s been a steep learning curve, it’s something that I enjoy!
- High School Certificate
- Bachelor of Information Technology (Information Systems)
- Business Studies
- Digital Design/Information Technology
- General Mathematics (Maths A)
- Mathematical Methods (Maths B)
- State Champion for the NEXT Innovation Challenge 2017
- Runner up - Nationals for the NEXT Innovation Challenge 2017
- Seeing family and friends
- 2 Cat
15 year old me!!
My career journey
Graduated High School in 2009
Graduated university in 2018
Secured a graduate role before I graduated university
Completed rotations in the business to determined what role was suitable for me
Gained a permanent role after finishing the graduate program